WINTER HAVEN, Fla. — Update, 2:20 p.m. June 1:
Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said the local curfew is extended following this weekend's protests.
The curfew runs from 8 p.m. Monday through 5 a.m. Tuesday and applies to all people and businesses in the county.
A curfew order is in effect overnight across Polk County in accordance with a local state of emergency, according to the sheriff's office.
The curfew runs from 10 p.m. Sunday through 5 a.m. Monday.
Sheriff Grady Judd cited reports of injuries to law enforcement officers and citizens in Lakeland following a Sunday afternoon protest.
"Thus far, participants are not dispersing as ordered by law enforcement officers and the activity is on-going," the order reads, in part.
The curfew and state of emergency means all people within the county need to stay inside except for those going to their jobs, needing emergency are exempt from the order. It also stipulates the "sale or other transfer of possession" of gas is not allowed.
Anyone who violates the curfew order could face up to 60 days in jail and a $500 fine if they're charged with a second-degree misdemeanor. If somebody violates it as a first-degree misdemeanor under state statutes, they could face up to a year in prison and/or a $1,000 fine.
The city of Tampa is under a curfew from 7:30 p.m. through 6 a.m. until further notice. Hillsborough County is exempt from the curfew.
What other people are reading right now:
- What you need to know about Tampa's curfew
- More than 40 people arrested for rioting, burglary following Tampa protests
- 'Stay home': Tampa Police Chief Dugan says to peaceful protesters
- People set fire to Tampa gas station, loot businesses after hectic protest nearby
- People break glass doors at University Square Mall in attempt to get inside
- Police, demonstrators meet in heated protest near Tampa's Busch Gardens
- Peaceful demonstrators in downtown Tampa march for George Floyd
- SpaceX Crew Dragon docks Sunday at International Space Station with astronauts
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter