WINTER HAVEN, Fla. — Editor's note: The Florida Highway Patrol previously reported that the 8-year-old child died in the crash, but on Monday clarified that the 5-year-old child had died from his injuries. The 8-year-old boy remains hospitalized in critical condition. This story has been updated to reflect that.
Charges are likely in a suspected drunk driving crash that killed a man and a 5-year-old boy, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
It happened around 1:30 a.m. Sunday on Lucerne Park Road and Avenue Y NE.
Troopers said a car, driven by a 27-year-old man from Winter Haven, was heading south on Lucerne Park Road when he crossed the center line and crashed nearly head-on into an SUV.
The SUV's driver, a 70-year-old Winter Haven man, died at the scene of the crash.
An 8-year-old boy in the car suffered serious injuries, FHP said, while the 5-year-old died on the way to the hospital.
It's believed the 27-year-old man was impaired at the time of the crash, troopers said.
- Debunking common COVID-19 vaccine myths with USF virologist
- Florida hunters have duck stolen by massive gator
- 12 Christmas light displays to see this year around Tampa Bay
- How to save the most money shopping online this holiday season
- Side effects from COVID-19 vaccine likely will be unpleasant, doctors warn
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter