When a city worker got called out to fix a malfunctioning streetlight, he could have never guessed the culprit -- or culprits.
As electrician and crew leader Jan Wiercinski got close, he heard a buzzing noise and saw bees flying in and out of the base of the streetlight. Apparently, they'd built a hive large enough to short circuit the light.
If you're wondering how big it was: the city says it was a 10-pound honeycomb. While that might not be nearly as large as hives can get, it was enough to cause electrical problems in such a confined space.
Luckily, a professional removal organization was able to quickly and humanely relocate the bees outside city limits.
The light has since been fixed.
- Thousands of honey bees get away, sting people in a Tampa neighborhood
- Florida beekeeper says someone is poisoning his bees
- Last winter saw more honeybees die off than ever before, survey reveals
- Truck hauling 133 million bees crashes in Montana
What other people are reading right now:
- FAA revokes license of Florida company that repaired 737 Max sensor
- Depression forms under family's home in Lutz, forcing them to get out
- 'He was supposed to wake up': Community mourns teen after tragic death
- FBI investigating Hillsborough County Commissioner Ken Hagan
- She texted her dad's number on the 4th anniversary of his death. This year, she got a reply.
FREE 10NEWS APP: