NORTH PORT, Fla. — A 15-year-old jogger is now accused of making up that she was sexually battered for attention, according to North Port police.
Officers said after doing interviews and investigating the situation, they determined the teen made up the incident. On Friday, police said she confessed to lying.
North Port police said they don’t take false claims like this lightly because they can impact the way sexual battery reports are viewed.
Police said, right now, their focus is to make sure the teen gets the help she needs. Officers said the charges in this case would be determined at a later time.
What other people are reading right now:
- Police: Armed man upset with ex-girlfriend leads to 3-county incident, MacDill AFB lockdown
- Sheriff: 'Pure evil' man purposely ran over veteran because he wanted to kill somebody
- Driver accused of hitting, killing pedestrian on Bayshore Boulevard charged
- White House considering dramatic expansion of travel ban
- 'This is about making sure we get poo out of the water': Senator calls for tougher penalties for sewage spills
- Toilet paper robot will deliver a fresh roll when you're stranded