SARASOTA, Fla. -- A Sarasota man died while being processed into the Sarasota County Jail.
The arrestee was taken into a pre-intake zone at 12:52 p.m. Thursday. There, he was cleared by medical workers and handed over to corrections deputies at 1:09 p.m.
By 1:25 p.m., he was experiencing a "medical emergency," and jail medical staff members tried CPR. Paramedics showed up, but the inmate was pronounced dead just before 2 p.m.
The man, who has not yet been identified, had been taken into custody on two warrants out of Manatee County. It's unclear what crimes he was accused of committing.
The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office has opened an investigation into what happened.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida woman smiling in mugshot sentenced in deadly DUI crash
- Video shows woman try to kidnap toddler from McDonald's, police say
- He was murdered and his wife shot. The killers were just convicted in his death.
- He was targeted for human trafficking through his mom. Now, he shares his story to help others.
- Gov. Ron DeSantis has tense exchange with school board member during first lady's visit
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.