SARASOTA, Fla. — Nine passengers were safely brought to shore following a boat fire on Sarasota Bay, according to police.
It happened Saturday morning about 350 yards west of the 10th Street boat ramp, the Sarasota Police Department tweeted.
Police say a 24-foot boat caught fire. Officers, plus other people nearby, were able to bring everyone back to dry land.
The cause of the fire is not yet known.
Editor's note: The Sarasota Police Department initially said 12 people were on board the boat. There were nine, the department has since reported.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- 'We're at risk': Pasco neighbors ask officials to help prevent brush fires in their community
- Matt Gaetz vows to fight, tries to stay on offensive amid scandal
- Getting your second dose of COVID-19 vaccine? Here's what to expect
- Pumping of wastewater from Piney Point put on pause
- Man sentenced to 24 years in prison for killing of mom, baby in 2018 Bayshore crash
- Hurricane experts predict an above-average 2021 Atlantic hurricane season
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter