SARASOTA, Fla. — Upon closer look, that's no dog swimming in Sarasota Bay.
Sarasota Police Department officers got a call this week from a concerned charter captain about a possible dog stranded in New Pass, the agency said. One responding officer jumped in the water to try and capture it.
When that wasn't successful, he jumped in the water again and realized the dog wasn't any dog, it was a coyote.
The animal was guided back toward land and onto some rocks near Ken Thompson Park, the police department said. From there, it ran off to safety.
- QR codes: How to protect your cell phone from scams
- Rays 101: Your ultimate guide to jumping on the bandwagon this season
- '40,000 cases daily': Florida scientists say U.K. variant could spark a 4th wave of COVID-19 infections in the state
- House approves Equality Act with expanded LGBTQ legal safeguards
- Militia official: US strike in Syria kills 1, wounds several
- The sky will be extra bright this weekend from the full "Snow Moon"
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter