SARASOTA, Fla. — The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office is investigating after deputies say an 11-year-old shot himself.
Our partners at WWSB report the boy had possession of a gun and shot himself, suffering serious injuries. The boy was taken to a nearby hospital via Bayflite.
Deputies say two boys, ages 11 and 12, were playing at a home when they found a gun. At one point, the gun accidentally discharged and a bullet hit the 11-year-old's cheek.
The sheriff's office said the boy has not yet been released from the hospital but is expected to be OK.
Detectives are still trying to figure out who the gun belongs to. Anyone with information is asked to call the Criminal Investigations Section at 941-861-4900.
What other people are reading right now:
- Tired of telemarketers calling you? Say this phrase
- NTSB investigating deadly plane crash that killed 9
- Woman accused of driving 117 mph on U.S. 19
- Women accused of stealing elderly lady's credit cards, smiling on $5K shopping spree
- Astronomers discover black hole that 'should not even exist' in our galaxy
- Deputies search for 2 missing Florida children
FREE 10NEWS APP: