SARASOTA, Fla. — A woman was killed in a shooting involving Sarasota County Sheriff's Office deputies who say she threatened them with a knife.
It happened around 5 p.m. Sunday in the area of Corey Road and Dyer Lane, according to a news release.
Deputies responded to the area for a report of a battery and later came across the woman, identified as 63-year-old Adrean Stephenson, walking around with a knife, the release states. She reportedly did not follow commands to drop the knife and advanced toward the deputies.
Although deputies used a Taser, they said it was not effective. Stephenson still reportedly ignored them and was shot, according to law enforcement.
The deputies involved in the shooting were not hurt, the agency said.
Investigators said Stephenson had a history of mental health issues and had tried to harm herself in the past.
The deputies involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave while an investigation is underway, per the sheriff's office's protocol.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the person who died as a man. She was a woman.
- NHC: Tropical Storm Isaias likely to stay off Florida's east coast
- 'Not what we were anticipating': Boaters surround SpaceX capsule amid splashdown
- NASA astronauts on SpaceX Crew Dragon make historic splashdown in Gulf of Mexico
- Sheriff's deputies find 250 people outside Tampa gas station following shooting; 3 hospitalized
- Delta pilots turn plane around when 2 passengers refuse to wear masks
- Salmonella outbreak sickens nearly 400 people across 34 states
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter