SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla — Rest in peace, K-9 Hiro.
A retired K-9 from the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office died Thursday, the department said in a Facebook post. The Belgian Malinois was born in Slovakia and began training with Deputy Kevin Skau in October 2009.
K-9 Hiro was deployed more than 1,270 times for tracking, area searches and narcotics "sniffs" before retiring in 2017, the sheriff's office said. In November 2016, Hiro was also named employee of the month by the sheriff's department. He was laid to rest after suffering from renal failure, the sheriff's office said.
Thank you for your service, K-9 Hiro.
What other people are reading right now:
- Gov. DeSantis says he’ll sign exec. order ensuring parents can choose if their kids wear masks
- CDC document warns delta variant appears to be as contagious as chickenpox
- Can you be legally required to have a COVID vaccine in Florida?
- Tampa police officers spent $421 at strip club during operation 'that yielded no results,' report says
- Universal Orlando to require employees to wear masks again
- Time to buy school supplies: Here's how to save big
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter