TAMPA, Fla. — After 40 years, Skipper's Smokehouse is calling it quits – at least in its current form.
The iconic restaurant has been serving up award-winning food and live music for decades in Tampa. After Sunday, it will be repurposed into an outdoor special events center until a new owner is found to guide it out of the pandemic.
Skipper's current owner Tom White is looking for either a joint-venture partner or buyer to acquire the business and the property. In a news release, White indicated he was "ready to go fishing." He is, however, open to staying involved in some capacity.
"This is not the end of the road, but merely a fork where the roads divide," Skipper's Smokehouse wrote in a Facebook post.
The smokehouse has spent the last week celebrating its four decades of bringing culture and comradery to the Tampa Bay area. Celebrations will continue through Sept. 27 with "socially responsible sold-out shows."
Skipper's Smokehouse has been featured on television networks like the Travel Channel, Golf Channel and CBS Sports. The business has raised millions of dollars for charities since it opened, benefiting everything from veterans groups to domestic violence shelters and cancer research.
"We really hate to see this party end, but it is time to move on to the next phase of life after an extremely dedicated forty years of serving Tampa Bay and beyond," the business wrote in a news release.
What other people are reading right now:
- DeSantis wants to ease restaurant restrictions, may override local rules
- $5K reward offered for information in deadly shooting of Florida 3-year-old
- NCAA recommends waving requirements, making all college football teams eligible for bowls in 2020
- FHP: Man installing I-4 roadway marker killed after being hit by car, thrown from overpass
- Retired circus elephants get new home at northeastern Florida refuge
- Rare, 'patternless' rattlesnake found in Florida
- Results of climate change: Warmer world, stronger storms
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter