TAMPA, Fla. — A little boy in Tampa got a special surprise for his birthday from one of his favorite people.
The city said Marlon wants to be just like Leroy Lentz, a driver for the city's solid waste collections department. And, every morning on collection days, he and his 6-year-old sister wait outside to wave to Leroy as he comes to their home.
The city said his stops to their home are a bright spot in his day.
So, for Marlon's 3rd birthday on Tuesday, Leroy, the solid waste department and the city of Tampa organized a special parade – complete with a birthday cake with a garbage truck on top.
"The Department really appreciates those customers who take time to say hello and thank you," the city said in a news release. "We are thrilled to give Marlon a birthday to remember."
The parade had about 10 different garbage trucks and city trucks, including automated side loaders, a lightning loader and container delivery vehicles.
Marlon also got special visits from Tampa Mayor Jane Castor and staff from the solid waste department, including Director Mark Wilfalk, Chief of Administration Adri Colina and Chief of Operations Gary McClendon.
What other people are reading right now:
- Tropical storms Paulette, Rene churn in the Atlantic with no land in sight
- Man struck by lightning near Davis Islands
- Chemical plant fire caused by explosion now extinguished in Brevard County
- Hey, what about that second stimulus check? It’s looking less likely as lawmakers return to work
- Detectives: Man dies after breaking free from police, jumping in water while handcuffed
- After jogger detained for fitting burglar description, Florida sheriff offers him a job
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter