TAMPA, Fla — A man told Tampa police he was “possessed by a spirit” and smoking a cigar during a religious ceremony when he burned a child – but he claimed it was just an accident.
Officers say it was intentional.
Jaime Amoguea Fonseca is accused of burning a child with a lit cigar, while a group of people were participating in Santeria ritual.
According to the arrest report, the child told police Amoguea Fonseca lifted up his shirt without his permission, pressed a lit cigar between his shoulder blades – and held it there.
Police say his injuries matched his story, so officers took Amoguea Fonseca into custody.
The 32-year-old is charged with aggravated child abuse.
Officers say the child’s mother is a friend of Amoguea Fonseca, and she was there when it happened because the ceremony was taking place at their home.
What other people are reading right now:
- Police: Plant city officer run over by wanted woman during traffic stop
- 1 person dies, children taken to hospital after truck hits school bus
- Another earthquake hits Puerto Rico
- Impeachment trial managers include representative from Florida
- 'Rip little one': Southwest Florida Eagle Cam confirms baby bald eagle died
- SpaceX to intentionally destroy a rocket to test Crew Dragon abort system
- Universal's Super Nintendo World promises to put you 'inside' video games
- Attention viewers: WTSP is undergoing planned work on our tower