MADEIRA BEACH, Fla. — Pinellas County Fire Rescue, The US Coast Guard, Pinellas County Sheriff's Deputies and Florida Fish and Wildlife worked to put out a boat that was on fire at John's Pass, off Treasure Island and Madeira Beach.
FWC officials said two people were on the boat at the time and the fire started while they were refueling. The boat caught fire and there was an explosion, causing two people to fall into the water.
FWC said one person drove themselves to the hospital to get checked out after the fire.
The fire has been put out and the boat sunk, FWC says.
A chair may have also flown into the water from the explosion, hitting a woman on a jet ski.
David Brososi tells 10News he was about to go out on a dolphin cruise when the spotted the smoke across the water. He said the fire started when the boat was docked, and watched as someone pushed the vessel away from the dock to protect the dock and other boats.
The boat then began burning in the middle of the water and then sunk.
Derek Desalvia was out boating with his family when they saw the fire.
"We were coming up the Intracoastal and saw a big black billowing cloud of smoke. And as we got closer we could smell the pungent fumes. And then we looked over and the whole boat was engulfed in flames," Desalvia said. "I just hoped everyone is safe. It was bad. I mean there was fire department, sheriff all around them."
FWC said a chair might have flown into the water and hit a woman on a jet ski.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida man pretending to be a cop pulls over real deputy, sheriff's office says
- 2 toddlers critically burned when road rage shooting sets off fireworks in truck
- Woman licking Blue Bell ice cream could face up to 20 years in prison
- Billionaire Chris Cline among 7 killed in helicopter crash off the Bahamas
- What your car's air recirculation button really does
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.