Samsung is investigating video a Pasco County man claims shows his girlfriend's cell phone emitting smoke on the kitchen floor.

Dave Warden, who lives in Odessa, said he and his girlfriend were finishing dinner on June 20 when her Galaxy S9 phone began making popping sounds on the counter. He claimed the device caught fire; then he tried to throw it into the sink and it landed on the hardwood floor -- where it began smoking.

Warden claimed he then used his own iPhone to film the smoke emitting from the Galaxy S9. He posted a 10 second clip to Facebook.

According to Samsung, Warden bought the phone through an online, third-party reseller. Samsung is now investigating the alleged incident and the reseller to try to figure out what happened.

As part of the investigation, Samsung wanted to retrieve the phone for analysis. But, Warden threw it out.

"We didn't think there was any value in a phone that was burned up," Warden explained.

Warden and his girlfriend asked to be reimbursed for the phone and for money to repair their floor, which they say was damaged. So far, Samsung has offered to pay for the cost of the phone.

"We just want the money back," Warden said. "There will not be another Samsung device in this house."

According to Warden, his girlfriend only owned the device for a month. Twenty-four hours earlier, he said the phone had been on an airplane when the couple returned from a work trip in New Orleans.

In 2016, Samsung recalled a million Galaxy Note 7 phones after reports of overheating batteries causing fires. Samsung said it had not gotten any similar reports about the much newer Galaxy S9 device.

The company released the statement below.

"Samsung takes customer safety very seriously and we stand behind the quality of the millions of Galaxy devices in use in the United States. We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy S9 device and we have reached out to Mr. Warden to learn more about the specifics behind this experience and to resolve the matter. We are aware that this device was purchased through a non-authorized third-party and we encourage consumers to always purchase Samsung products from one of our authorized retailers or carriers to ensure the product continues to meet Samsung’s high quality and safety standards. Until Samsung is able to thoroughly examine any unit, it is impossible to determine the true cause of an incident. Mobile phones are complex products and there are many factors that could contribute to their malfunction. Any customer who has questions about a Samsung product should contact us directly at 1-800-SAMSUNG."

Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10 News app now.

Have a news tip? Email, visit our Facebook page or Twitter feed.