TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — It must have been fate!
The Florida Lottery said Wednesday that 51-year-old Angela Caravella of Kansas City, Missouri, is the latest winner of "The Fastest Road to $1,000,000" game.
It happened after she was set to go back home from Florida but her flight was canceled.
“I had a feeling something bizarre was going to happen after my flight was canceled unexpectedly,” Caravella said in a statement. “I bought a few Scratch-Off tickets to pass the time and just like that – I won $1 million!”
The winning ticket was purchased in Brandon, Florida, at a Publix store located at 1220 Kingsway Road. A $2,000 bonus commission will be given to the retailer for selling the ticket.
Caravella chose to receive her winnings as a one-time, lump-sum payment of $790,000, according to Florida Lottery.
The $30 "Fastest Road" scratch-off game made its debut in February 2020.
- Who needs to mask up in Florida? Pretty much everyone, per CDC guidance
- Red tide levels in Tampa Bay at their worst in decades
- Despite new CDC guidance, masks to stay optional in Hillsborough, Pinellas schools
- Hillsborough detective reflects on what led him to adopt son of Ronnie Oneal III
- Feel like you have the worst summer cold ever? Here's why
- A Frank Conversation: New podcast explores race, religion, politics and more
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter