LAND O' LAKES, Fla. — A 23-year-old Land O’ Lakes man has just become the youngest player in Florida Lottery history to claim a Powerball jackpot.
Thomas Yi won the $235.4 million prize from the March 27 drawing. He has since chosen to receive his winnings as a one-time, lump sum payment of $160,038,447.27.
He bought the jackpot winner from a Publix on North Nebraska Avenue in Lutz. The grocery store will get a $95,000 bonus commission.
“Even after matching all six numbers, I was in disbelief and took my ticket to a retailer to have it checked,” Yi told the Florida Lottery.
Yi said the clerk became excited and kept repeating that he had won the jackpot.
"I knew then that this would be life-changing," Yi added.
As for what he plans to do next, Yi said he intends to pursue a higher education degree in either the medical or business field.
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida House passes bill banning transgender girls from school sports
- 'This is a disease, not a lack of willpower': Alcohol Awareness Month brings attention to pandemic drinking habits
- Derek Chauvin trial: Chauvin won't take the stand in his own defense
- Red tide warning signs to be placed on some beaches across Sarasota County
- Tampa Bay districts detail fall learning methods: See county-by-county plans
- Did you lose your vaccine card? Here's what to do next
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter