TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A woman living near Tallahassee got an early birthday present.
Cothee Tomaini, of Crawfordville, claimed a $500,000 prize off the new $5 MONEY MULTIPLIER scratch-off game. And, she did it just four days before turning 49.
The Florida Lottery says Tomaini bought the winning ticket at a Winn-Dixie near her home.
“I couldn't believe it - so I scanned my ticket on the Florida Lottery mobile app to double check that I was in fact a winner! I’m so excited to use this money for my honeymoon next year!" she told the Florida Lottery.
Her fiancé accompanied her to claim the oversized check from Florida Lottery Headquarters.
Scratch-off tickets make up about 75 percent of the state lottery's sales and generated more than $1 billion for the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund last fiscal year.
What other people are reading right now:
- NASA, SpaceX Crew-2 launches from Kennedy Space Center
- Researchers are studying what effect red tide has on people's brains
- More $1,400 stimulus checks sent. Here's who's getting them.
- Woman and infant son dead in 'tragic crash' between car and train in Frostproof, deputies says
- Florida police officers charged with issuing dozens of bogus citations
- Your guide to the 2021 Firestone Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter