After Harvey Weinstein surrendered to New York authorities Friday to face criminal sex charges, some of his 80-plus accusers and other celebrities shared their thoughts on social media. Reaction ranged from calling the scene an "emotional moment" to saying "nothing about that felt celebratory."
Attorney Carrie Goldberg, who represents Lucia Evans, the woman whose 2004 allegation resulted in some of the charges against Weinstein, told the Associated Press, “This is an emotional moment. We are relieved and grateful that justice is coming, but we also mourn the cases where it didn’t.”
But actress Annabella Sciorra, who was one of the first women to publicly accuse Weinstein of rape, sent a few tweets Sunday detailing why she felt angry with what happened after Weinstein posted his $1 million bail.
"The law finally caught up with Harvey Weinstein on Friday and charged him with multiple counts of rape and sexual assault. But nothing about that felt celebratory to me," she wrote. "The smirk on his face as he was led out of the police station in cuffs made me physically sick. The public statement from his lawyer was intended only to denigrate all the brave women who came forward and spoke out against him. And I got no relief from seeing this monster walk into court, then sneak out the back door after posting a million dollar bond."
She continued: "All that says is, money buys VIP treatment in the justice system no matter how serious or violent the crimes ... If there was truly ’equal justice under the law’, Harvey Weinstein would be behind bars in Rikers today, waiting for his own day in court, not free to roam New York, his other hunting ground, wearing an ankle bracelet."
Actress Mira Sorvino, another Weinstein accuser who had earlier tweeted #justice, replied to Sciorra's tweet. Sorvino wrote that she didn't feel like celebrating Weinstein's charges, but was "heartened that he was starting the process of standing trial."
Reaction from other newsmakers varied.
President Trump addressed the news in a brief talk with reporters at the White House Friday morning.
“I’m not familiar with the case,” said Trump, who has been accused of sexual misconduct by multiple women himself. “It’s really too bad.”
Rose McGowan, one of Weinstein's earliest and most outspoken accusers, expressed satisfaction in interviews with NBC and ABC News Friday.
McGowan told NBC's Megyn Kelly, "To see him in cuffs on the way out, whether he smiled or not, that’s a very good feeling."
What would she say to Weinstein if he was listening? A simple "we got you," she told Kelly. McGowan added that she just wants to be free of him now, and it seems like she's starting to.
"Predators eat people, and he ate a lot of my life and I want my life back," she said. "Since the news broke, even though his face is everywhere, I haven’t had a single nightmare for the first time.”
In an earlier interview with ABC's Amy Robach, McGowan said she wanted to see Weinstein behind bars because ”we were sentenced to a prison, we were sentenced to years of it before anybody believed us. ... We had our lives stolen, we had our careers stolen."
She did make note that the timing of his surrender: "It's on a Friday of a holiday weekend, so, slow media, right? So they did something nice for him. It means he still has friends in high-up places."
Still, McGowan, continued, "I have to admit I didn't think I would see the day that he would have handcuffs on him. ... I have a visceral need for him to have handcuffs on."
When asked if she would attend Weinstein's trial, McGowan said she has been talking with another alleged survivor and may accompany the woman to court, despite the fact that his face has "terrorized" her for years.
Asia Argento, another one of Weinstein's accusers, tweeted a video of his walk into the police station, writing, "What took you so long Harvey?"
In another tweet, she expressed the glimmer of hope this arrest gives her.
"Today Harvey Weinstein will take his first step on his inevitable descent to hell. We, the women, finally have real hope for justice," she wrote.
New York Times investigative reporter Jodi Kantor, who co-authored the newspaper's original bombshell report on Weinstein, said this day marked a shift in how the "law of the land" reacts to sexual assault allegations, during an interview with CBS News Friday.
"Harvey Weinstein always had his own private system of justice. He would hire private investigators, he would hire fancy lawyers to settle allegations," she said. "This is the first time he's facing the same justice system as the rest of us."
Argento's boyfriend, chef Anthony Bourdain, acknowledged the news by tweeting an image of a prison menu with the caption, "What’s on the menu for Weinstein?"
The Women's March also reacted to the news, calling it "an important day in terms of visibility for all women whose lives have been devastated because of the actions of Harvey Weinstein."
"We seek justice for women and all people who have been harassed and abused in the workplace. No person should be violated at work, or anywhere else. Ever," the statement read. "Toxic masculinity and misogyny can no longer be ignored or tolerated at the workplace or any other place in society."
The statement continued, "We stand with the brave women who came forward against Harvey Weinstein. We hope their courage will continue to inspire others to break their silence.”
Mia Farrow, whose son Ronan won a Pulitzer Prize for his coverage of the Weinstein story, shared a tweet addressed to Sorvino.
"Dear Mira, I know how hard it was for you and the other women to risk so much to come forward with the details of one of your worst experiences — but thank you thank you! Today is for you — and also for the young women who would surely have become his next victims," she wrote along with the same hashtag, #Justice.
Louise Godbold, another of Weinstein's accusers, told the Associated Press she expects the producer to "play hard and dirty" but says that her and her fellow alleged survivors, who texted her, about the news are feeling "all elated."
Accuser Louisette Geiss also used the word "elated" in her reaction.
"It’s about time. Elated and so proud to stand next to the brave women & men who are creating a new normal," she wrote.
Accuser Emma de Caunes shared a simple "Time for justice" on Twitter, while accuser Heather Graham wrote a lengthier reaction.
"It’s about time: Harvey Weinstein turned himself in this morning and is in police custody," she wrote. "Today, instead of focusing on him, I will be celebrating all of the powerful women out there. This is just the beginning."
Accuser Ashley Matthau shared a similar excitement in her reaction.
"Been waiting for this day for so long! So happy that he is getting what he deserves!" she wrote on Twitter.
Lysette Anthony, another of Weinstein's alleged victims, wrote "And so it begins" with the hashtag #JusticeForAll.
Accuser Sarah Ann Masse included a Me Too hashtag in her emotional tweet.
"I'm crying," she wrote. "This is one step in the right direction, there is still a long road ahead, but for every person who has been abused, for those of us who have spoken either publicly or privately to bring these abusers down, this is a victory."
PR maven Kelly Cutrone took to Twitter to share her thoughts as well.
"Of course (Harvey Weinstein) surrenders on a 3 day weekend — This is a PR trick — announce news when no one is noticing," she said.
Contributing: The Associated Press, Gregory Korte