The father of a Sandy Hook shooting victim has died of an apparent suicide.
The Newtown Police Department says 49-year-old Jeremy Richman was found dead at Edmond Town Hall, where he had an office.
Richman was the founder of the nonprofit Avielle Foundation, which worked to prevent violence through research, community engagement and education. It was named after Richman's 6-year-old daughter, who was killed in the Dec. 14, 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.
“This is a heartbreaking event for the Richman family and the Newtown Community as a whole, the police department’s prayers are with the Richman family right now, and we ask that the family be given privacy in this most difficult time," Police Lt. Aaron Bahamonde wrote in a Facebook post.
Richman's death comes after two Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting survivors died by suicide in recent days. One of the students, a male sophomore, has not been named. The other, a 19-year-old former student, has been identified by her family as Sydney Aiello.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
What other people are reading right now:
- More passengers lifted off Norway cruise ship before towing
- Google 'Florida man' followed by your birthday: What's your story?
- Powerball jackpot to $750 million after no winner Saturday
- Florida couple forgot they left their toddler at the park for hours: deputies
- Hallmark Channel needs extras for movie filming in Safety Harbor
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.