WELLINGTON, New Zealand — New Zealand police confirm five people are dead after a volcano erupted.
A number of people are injured and missing.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said about 100 tourists were on or near White Island when the volcano erupted and some of them were missing. Medical responders said they believed 20 people were on the island who needed treatment.
There will be questions as to why tourists were still allowed on the island after scientists noted an uptick in volcanic activity. The GeoNet agency said a moderate eruption had occurred and raised its alert level to four, on a scale where five represents a significant eruption.
What other people are reading right now:
- FBI investigating deadly shooting at NAS Pensacola as an act of terrorism
- St. Pete track star killed in Naval Air Station Pensacola shooting
- ‘My teacher said go hide’: Students relive moments during search for violent bank robber
- Elderly couple loses home in fire one day after burying son, and two months after their daughter's death
- 'Rare' cardinal appears male on one side, female on the other
FREE 10NEWS APP: