TAMPA, Fla. — The Green New Deal has been a contentious proposal for lawmakers since the Democrats began pushing the initiative to fight climate change.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York called for a Green New Deal, which is intended to transform the U.S. economy to combat climate change and create thousands of jobs in renewable energy.
On Friday, young people in Tampa rallied to demand lawmakers take legislative action toward the deal and against climate change.
"They are striking because they believe the climate crisis should be declared a national emergency since time is running out," a press release from student organizer Anika Nayak stated.
The march was in unison with thousands of similar youth events across the country.
The rally happened began at 3 p.m. at Tampa City Hall and included students from local Tampa high schools, colleges and universities.
The young American activists say they were inspired by 16-year-old Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg who has been striking in Europe and Australia since August 2018.
What other people are reading right now:
- Man accused of impregnating teen after she asked him to
- Child dies after being struck by vehicle in Walmart parking lot
- Man wanted for murder after woman's body found behind dumpster
- 34 years later, police make arrest in cold case murder of Navy recruit
- ►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.