SATELLITE BEACH, Fla — She was hit by a car while crossing A1A in Satellite Beach and “killed almost instantly”.
The family of Sophia Nelson tells WKMG the 12-year-old was in a crosswalk – just steps ahead of her father and grandfather – when she was hit around 5:45 p.m. near Ellwood Avenue on Dec. 22.
They were out walking the family dog.
“As I cleared her airway she started breathing again and I had a brief time to tell her we all love her,” said Sophia’s father Mark.
She was rushed to a nearby hospital, but there was nothing doctors could do. Her family told WKMG they were able to donate some of Sophia’s organs. They say she recently donated her hair to make wigs for cancer patients.
The driver reportedly stopped after the crash and is cooperating with Brevard County investigators.
According to the Brevard Times, it happened at or near a crosswalk with flashing yellow lights.
What other people are reading right now:
- Gunman identified in Christmas Eve shooting that killed 3 people; 4 kids rescued
- Looking ahead to our last cold front of the year
- Thieves are watching: Don't put empty gift boxes on the side of the road
- Cashier shoots, kills armed robber after he was pistol-whipped
- New law would let families put cameras in nursing home rooms