MARATHON, Fla. — A 2-year-old California girl is dead after being pulled from a pool in the Florida Keys.
The girl was found at the bottom of a pool on Friday. A vacationing doctor and a nearby paramedic heard yells for help and rushed to the rental home. They were unable to resuscitate the girl, who was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital.
The Monroe County Sheriff's Department says a family member was applying sunscreen to other children inside the home when other relatives found the toddler in the pool.
Officials say the doctor swam across a canal to help. Rescue crews from the Marathon Fire Department were also unable to revive the child, whose family was visiting from San Jose, California.
Authorities said an autopsy is planned but they don't suspect foul play.
What other people are reading right now:
- Man accused of carjacking man and killing him had history of problems in prison: Documents
- Elderly couple found dead in murder-suicide left notes about issues paying for medical care
- Jeffrey Epstein found dead in Manhattan jail
- Florida county will stop prosecuting minor pot cases
- 15 apps parents should look out for on their kids' phones
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.