ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — UPDATE: Police say a Florida dad lied about a stranger abducting his 3-year-old daughter from the front yard -- but the reason may surprise people. Click here for the latest coverage.
Madeline Mejia, 3, was recovered safely this morning hours after an Amber Alert was issued, according to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
The FDLE published a picture on Facebook of the moment agents rescued her. It says law enforcement took to the sky in a Cessna, trying to find the man accused of abducting her.
Agents and Florida Highway Patrol troopers eventually found the wanted driver's car on Interstate 10 in Tallahassee, with troopers later bringing the person under arrest.
Mejia was found safe.
The original story is below.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement have issued an Amber Alert for missing 3-year-old out of Central Florida.
Police say 3-year-old Madeline Mejia was abducted. She was last seen wearing a pink shirt, blue jeans and pink shoes.
Mejia is 40 pounds and was last seen in a black, two-door car with Texas plates. Police say the driver is a white-Hispanic man with long brown hair and facial hair, wearing a blue shirt and jeans.
Anyone with information is being asked to call the Apopka Police Department at 407-703-1757 or dial 911. You can also reach out on social media with the hashtag #FLAMBER.
What other people are reading right now:
- 'You're not going to get away': Father asks driver of deadly hit-and-run to come forward
- Coronavirus outbreak has Tampa Bay couple stuck on cruise ship
- Here's why Florida Democratic voters might want to wait to mail their primary ballots
- Florida man accused of threatening to 'assassinate' President Trump
- 2-year-old girl channels Elsa after rare Texas snowfall
- 'Parasite' makes history as first foreign-language film to win best picture Oscar
- Oscars 2020: Winner's list and nominees