TAMPA, Fla. — A senior official with U.S. Customs and Border Protection told reporters that sending thousands of migrants to South Florida was only part of a “contingency plan,” according to the Sun Sentinel.
The statement came after officials in two South Florida counties, Broward and Palm Beach, raised the concern about having thousands of undocumented immigrants flown there from the U.S. Mexico Border.
The Sun Sentinel reported a federal official addressed that concern by saying there was no immediate plan to send anyone to those counties.
However, county officials said they had not heard from anyone with the federal government to endure them there were no immediate plans.
Florida's governor, Ron DeSantis plans to fight any federal plans to fly hundreds of immigrants weekly from the Mexican border to South Florida, saying Friday he'll take his case to President Donald Trump.
DeSantis made his remarks a day after being caught off guard when Broward and Palm Beach County officials said they had been notified by U.S. Border Patrol that about 1,000 migrants per month would be sent to the two counties starting in about two weeks.
The Associated Press contributed to this story.
What other people are reading right now:
- Teen girl was driven around the state, sold for sex for six months, say officials
- Video: Tornado touches down, wreaks havoc in Kansas
- Man who impregnated 10-year-old says he doesn't deserve the 160 year sentence
- A mom and her toddler were shot to death as she tried to shield him; now family is desperate to know who did it
- Gov. Ron DeSantis has tense exchange with school board member during first lady's visit