NOKOMIS, Fla. — A Sarasota County man jumped into a canal to rescue his dog from an alligator.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said the man was inside his home Friday when he heard noises from behind the house, WWSB reports.
The man went outside and found his chocolate Lab in the canal with the gator. He jumped in, then pried the gator's jaws open to free his dog.
Both the dog and the owner were injured, but both are expected to be OK.
A trapper will remove the gator.
What other people are reading right now:
- One year later: Woman to stand trial for allegedly leaving her daughter to drown in river
- Convicted child molester killed in Florida jail, convicted murderer charged in fatal beating
- Worker scratching his crotch led to restaurant's temporary closure, health inspectors say
- No more Fridays: Texas district adopting 4-day school week
- Guests and employees frustrated after parking lot floods at the Vinoy Resort
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.