MIAMI — A Florida man stole candles from a mall store and sprayed dozens of patrons with bear mace repellent before escaping, police said.
Investigators say the theft happened Saturday afternoon at a Bath and Body Works store in a mall in the Doral suburb west of Miami.
The unidentified man entered the store, filled a bag with candles and then started spraying people with mace.
About 35 people were affected, with some taken to a hospital for treatment. The Miami Herald reports the store manager had to be taken to the emergency room after being directly hit by the spray.
A police spokesperson said the woman had trouble breathing and her injury was serious but not life-threatening.
A portion of the mall was evacuated Saturday.
“This is an only in Miami story,” Doral Police Spokesperson Rey Valdes told the Miami Herald. “You can’t make this up.”
Police say the suspected thief, who got away in a yellow cab, could face numerous armed robbery and aggravated battery charges once arrested.
- Red tide at the beach: See the latest conditions
- Experts explain how red tide is different this year compared to 2018
- Deputies: Man crashes through St. Pete-Clearwater fencing before boarding Coast Guard aircraft
- Florida among 4 states fueling latest COVID-19 wave as new cases nearly double
- A Frank Conversation: New podcast explores race, religion, politics and more
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter