CLEWISTON, Fla. — Florida sheriff's deputies are investigating the slaying of a transgender woman whose body was found in her burning car.
Media reports say the Hendry County Sheriff's Office is investigating the Sept. 4 death of 23-year-old Bee Love Slater in Clewiston, Florida.
The Human Rights Campaign says Slater is at least the 18th transgender woman to be killed in 2019.
Capt. Susan Harrelle declined to tell the Palm Beach Post how Slater died, saying only the killer or a witness would know that.
She said detectives are investigating whether Slater's gender identity was a motive for the slaying.
Slater's friend Kenard Wade told WINK-TV that Slater had received threats the night she died and she wanted to leave the Lake Okeechobee area to avoid trouble.
What other people are reading right now:
- Autopsy leaves St. Pete family with more questions than answers
- Former sheriff's office employee arrested, accused of stalking ex-boyfriend
- Tracking Tropical Storm Humberto: Spaghetti models, location and more
- Sarasota deputies: Man kills his daughter before taking his own life
- 10-year-old girl fighting brain-eating amoeba
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter