FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A public defender was taken to the hospital after a defendant in court punched her in the head, knocking her to the ground during a bond hearing in Fort Lauderdale.
Assistant Public Defender Julie Chase was standing next to a female defendant at a podium Wednesday morning when a man waiting for his own bond hearing stood up, walked behind Chase and punched her with his left hand.
The courtroom video shows Chase fall to the floor. The inmate standing next to her put her hands to her mouth and backed away.
Everyone was noticeably surprised by the attack, prompting other defendants awaiting their appearances to make way for deputies, who handcuffed the man and carried him from the courtroom.
Broward Public Defender Howard Finkelstein says the Chase was hospitalized, but she is now doing “OK.”
What other people are reading right now:
- No kids allowed, tropical breezes included: Florida Keys' first all-inclusive resort opens
- VIDEO: Florida spring breakers turn the tables on would-be armed robbers
- Florida woman called 911 to report boyfriend was not being nice to her, deputies say
- 95-year-old man has been missing since Monday
- 'Dreamer' flight attendant detained by ICE after flying to Mexico for her job
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.