WAVERLY, Ga. (AP) — A Georgia woman who was bitten by a rattlesnake while gardening has died.
News outlets report 62-year-old Priscilla Meridith was bitten last month and suffered an allergic reaction and heart attack that left her in a medically induced coma she never woke up from.
Meridith's family says she suffered the heart attack and organ failure while she was hospitalized. She died last week.
Relatives say Meridith wasn't given anti-venom while treated at the Southeast Georgia Health System Brunswick Campus, as hospital staff said Meridith was allergic. The hospital's emergency medical director, Dr. Mohsen Aklaghi, says staff followed Georgia Poison Control recommendations.
Poison Control Managing Director Dr. Gaylord Lopez tells WJAX-TV that allergic patients can still be given antivenom if they're "good candidates" based factors including medical history and vital signs.
What other people are reading right now:
- Forest Hill officer who failed to find kidnapped 8-year-old girl has been fired
- 2019 Atlantic hurricane season: What to expect
- Retired police officer dies while visiting Dominican Republic
- 'My Little Pony' casket donated for Maleah Davis' funeral
- Motorcyclist killed in wrong-way crash on I-75
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.