TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa police are cracking down on speeders and aggressive drivers at some of the city's worst intersections, and a $100,000 grant from the Florida Department of Transportation is helping officers do it.
Here are the six intersections with the most traffic crashes:
1) Bruce B. Downs and E. Fowler Avenue
2) N. Himes Avenue / W. Hillsborough Avenue
3) N Florida Avenue / Busch Boulevard
4) N Dale Mabry / W. Columbus Drive (Boy Scout)
5) Courtney Campbell Causeway / Rocky Point Drive (Tie)
5) E. Fowler Avenue / N. Central Avenue (Tie)
Some of the crashes are serious, hurting and sometimes killing people involved. However, Tampa police said a lot of them are just fender benders. If you drive near any of those intersections every day, you know even the smallest crash can cause major congestion.
Authorities are going to use the money from FDOT to go after speeders in those areas more often and for longer hours.
“We’re going to go out there. We’re going to warn people,” TPD Spokesperson Steve Hegarty said. “People tend to behave a lot better when they see a police car out there.”
Police said they plan to step up patrols in those areas during the busy holiday travel season.
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10 News app now.