ENGLEWOOD, Fla. — A convicted felon had a bad day on June 18.
Deputies say the Port Charlotte man accidentally shot himself and then found himself arrested.
The Sarasota County Sheriff's Office responded to a shooting just before 6 p.m. on West Green Street in Englewood. When deputies arrived, they say they found Justin Richardson, 38, with a gunshot wound to the abdomen.
That's when investigators say they realized the handgun was stolen. According to deputies, Richardson was trying to take the gun apart when it fired.
He was flown to Sarasota Memorial Hospital for surgery.
Richardson was arrested Friday in Lee County and charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
Authorities say he has more than 40 prior arrests and 10 felony convictions. At the time of the shooting, he was out on bond pending a trial scheduled for August in a grand theft and drug-related case from Charlotte County.
He was just released from prison in January 2018. If convicted, he may be heading back behind bars.
What other people are reading right now:
- Report: NASA chases asteroid so valuable it could make everybody on Earth billionaires
- 12-year-old contracts flesh-eating bacteria on Florida beach
- Hammerhead shark spotted off Florida beach
- New Florida laws take effect July 1
- Woman found dead in median was killed in a hit-and-run, deputies say
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.