MONROE COUNTY, Fla — A 67-year-old Florida Keys man is accused of stealing a flag from the Monroe County Sheriff's Office, then exposing himself, deputies said.
According to the sheriff's office, a detective noticed the flag was missing. He reviewed security camera footage and saw a man in a wheelchair approach the flagpole on Saturday, undo the rope holding it up and lowered the flag.
The man then rolls it up and puts it in a backpack on the chair.
Deputies say he talks to another man and they try to enter the building, which has been closed for repairs since Hurricane Irma. The other man leaves, but the man in the wheelchair goes to a nearby building, where he lowers his pants and masturbates, detectives said.
Another detective spotted Robert Jorge Janus, 67, who is homeless, on Wednesday. When he was interviewed, Janus claimed the flag was on the ground and he planned to return it.
When told the video footage showed everything, however, detectives said Janus admitted to taking the flag.
Janus, however, said he did not remember exposing himself.
He has been charged with theft and indecent exposure.
What other people are reading right now:
- Rib fractures and brain bleeding: Police say a dad violently murdered his baby
- Man punched companion in face when he found out he was a pedophile, police say
- Two first cousins say they're in love and are petitioning to get legally married
- Trainer with autism opens gym specifically for clients with autism
- After DNA test, man discovers he's an African prince
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.