CLEARWATER, Fla. — If you're going to steal lottery tickets, don't try to cash them at the same place you took them.
It's that sort of mentality that police say landed a man named Herbert in jail.
You see, officers say Herbert McClellan grabbed 13 scratch-off tickets from the Speedway convenience store at 32 Bay Esplanade in Clearwater Beach.
According to police, when McClellan realized one of them was a $30 winner, he went back to the same store to cash it. Store workers weren't thrilled and called 911. That's when police showed up and put Mr. McClellan in handcuffs.
He's been charged with petit theft and dealing in stolen property.
"It's safe to say it was not his lucky day," the Clearwater Police Department said.
- Tropical Depression 13's forecast cone includes Tampa Bay
- 750 million genetically engineered mosquitoes to be released in Florida Keys
- Weather service: Tornado with winds up to 115 mph rips through central Florida
- Scientists tracking 'pothole in space'
- Florida reports lowest COVID-19 positivity rate since June as Tampa Bay sees dip in hospitalizations
- Amid COVID-19, Floridians are split on whether to follow hurricane evacuation orders, survey says
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter