TAMPA, Fla — Don't put your face mask in the microwave.
Seriously -- don't do it.
The New Hampshire State Fire Marshal's Office posted a couple photos of masks that have, frankly, seen better days. Firefighters want people to know that “microwaving their masks to kill germs” is a horrible idea and a fire hazard.
Cloth masks overheat really quickly, and they'll catch fire in the microwave. And, disposable masks are not any better.
"Disposable masks also have a metal nose wire and can cause sparks, a fire, and/or break your microwave," the NH State Fire Marshal's Office wrote on Facebook.
So, next time you want to sanitize your face mask, ditch the microwave. The CDC recommends properly sterilizing masks with detergent in a washing machine.
- Florida is getting ready to re-open. Here's who's on the task force
- What Florida beaches are open? A county-by-county list
- Huge 'fatberg' removed from Tampa pumping station
- 26 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits since coronavirus hit
- Tom Brady uses conch shell to welcome Gronk to Tampa Bay Bucs
- Volunteers print 13,000 face chields for front line workers
- Scared to death: ER docs say people are dying because they're afraid to seek medical care during pandemic
- Hotlines, websites offer the latest on COVID-19
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter