HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla — A former top football recruit for Florida State University was arrested on a prostitution charge after investigators claim he tried to solicit a sexual act while he had a young child in the back seat of his car.
Shavar Manuel, 22, was arrested Monday during a Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office sting operation targeting "Johns" in Town 'n' Country. Child protective investigators took custody of the child they say Manuel had along for the ride. Manuel is charged with soliciting another to commit prostitution and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
In all, roughly 25 men contacted undercover deputies, and eight were arrested on prostitution-related charges. In addition to Manuel, Hillsborough County deputies say the following individuals were arrested for soliciting another to commit prostitution: Alexander Escalante-Ponce, Luis Castro, Carlos Montes, Carlos Torres, Shaun Diaz, Oswaldo Serrano and Daniel Preston.
The men were booked into the Orient Road Jail.
For context, Manuel did not end up playing Division I football at Florida State and instead ended up enrolling at Fort Scott Community College in Kansas.
- Supermarket employee who disappeared 10 years ago was behind a cooler the whole time
- Police: Baby dies after being dropped to pavement during fight, mother charged with murder
- Man arrested in connection to Ole Miss student’s death
- Deputies: Man molests 14-year-old girl behind gas station, claims she came onto him
- Confusing, chaotic scene leads to shooting death of K-9 officer by deputy