TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Former Memphis football coach Mike Norvell says he won’t coach the Tigers in the Cotton Bowl now that he’s taken the Florida State job.
Norvell announced the decision in a letter to Memphis fans.
The 15th-ranked Tigers (12-1) face No. 13 Penn State (10-2) on Dec. 28 in Arlington, Texas. Norvell led Memphis to an American Athletic Conference championship with a victory over Cincinnati on Saturday. He held his introductory news conference at Florida State one day later.
Memphis has named Ryan Silverfield its interim head coach while it searches for Norvell's permanent replacement.
What other people are reading right now:
- Famous dolphin reunited with fisherman who rescued her 14 years ago
- Boat Graveyard: More boats are moving out of the Bay after 10News' investigation
- Warrant: Child soiled pants, teacher made him sit in it for two hours to 'prove a point'
- 12 Christmas light displays to see this year around Tampa Bay
- Free flu shots for Hillsborough County students
FREE 10NEWS APP: