AUGUSTA, Ga. — The Masters Tournament at the Augusta National Golf Club starts Thursday and runs through Sunday.
There are several questions ahead of the first golf major of the year. 10News journalist Mark Bergin answers several of them.
How to watch the 2019 Masters
ESPN will broadcast coverage Thursday and Friday. First-round coverage goes from 3 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET Thursday on ESPN. Second-round coverage goes from 3 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET Friday on ESPN.
WTSP and CBS affiliates across the country will broadcast Saturday and Sunday. CBS’ coverage goes from 3-7 p.m. ET Saturday. It goes from 2-7 p.m. ET Sunday.
What are the big storylines headed into the 2019 Masters?
The looming question for major golf tournaments moving forward until it happens: Can Tiger Woods win a major – the Masters, the U.S. Open, the Open Championship or the PGA Championship – for the first time since 2008? Woods last won a major when he won the U.S. Open on June 16, 2008.
Woods is 43 years old. Why does this matter? Woods is facing the challenges of father time.
Jack Nicklaus was the oldest golfer to win the Masters when he won the tournament in 1986. Nicklaus was 46 years, 82 days old.
Here are the 10 oldest winners of men’s golf majors:
- Julius Boros: 1968 PGA Championship, 48 years, 4 months, 18 days
- Old Tom Morris: 1867 British Open, 46 years, 99 days
- Nicklaus: 1986 Masters, 46 years, 2 months, 23 days
- Jerry Barber: 1961 PGA Championship, 45 Years, 3 months, 6 days
- Hale Irwin: 1990 U.S. Open, 45 years, 15 days old
- Lee Trevino: 1984 PGA Championship, 44 years, 8 months, 18 days
- Roberto de Vicenzo: 1967 British Open, 44 years, 93 days
- Harry Vardon: 1914 British Open, 44 years, 41 days
- Raymond Floyd: 1986 U.S. Open, 43 years, 9 months, 11 days
- Ted Ray: 1920 U.S. Open, 43 years, 4 months, 16 days old
There have been several golfers over the years who have come close to winning a major at an older age. Tom Watson led much of the final round at the 2009 British Open when he was 59 years old. Watson lost in a playoff.
A few others to note: Raymond Floyd was runner-up in the 1992 Masters at age 49. At 50 years old, Harry Vardon came in second at the 1920 U.S. Open. Vardon was runner-up to 43-year-old Ted Ray, who is on the list above.
Which player will win the 2019 Masters?
Oddsmakers list Rory McIlroy as the favorite to win this year’s tournament at +700. It means a better would have to wager $100 to earn a $700 profit (payout of $800 total) if McIlroy wins.
McIlroy, 29, needs to win the Masters to complete the career Grand Slam. McIlroy won the U.S. Open in 2011, the PGA Championship in 2012 and 2014, and the Tour Open Championship is 2014.
The best McIlroy has finished at Augusta is fourth place in 2015.
Last year, McIlroy was in contention during the final round. He finished fifth. In the final round last year, McIlroy and last year's Masters winner, Patrick Reed, teed off in the final pairing at Augusta National.
Dustin Johnson and Tiger Woods are second favorites at +1,100.
Reed is listed at +6,000.
How to do odds work? Click or tap here to view an odds calculator
What happened to Jordan Spieth?
Spieth's last top-10 finish dates back to The Open in July. He tied for ninth.
In three of his past nine tournaments, Spieth has missed the cut.
The 25-year-old golfer is ranked 33rd in the official world golf rankings.
Spieth finished in second in 2014, won the Masters in 2015 and finished second in 2016. Last year, Spieth finished in third place at Augusta.
Last weekend, Spieth tied for 30th at the Valero Texas Open.
What's up with Phil Mickelson's enormous calves?
Some might argue Mickelson's calves are among the most dominant forces in golf right now.
The 48-year-old golfer went viral in February when the PGA relaxed its rules, allowing players to wear shorts during practice rounds and pro-ams.
Who knew Lefty's legs would have social media buzzing?
What other people are reading right now:
- Florida researchers remove nearly 20-foot-long snake from nature preserve
- Detention deputy fired after slamming inmate to the ground, investigators say
- As 13 people hung on the roof or were inside an SUV, it crashed, killing 1
- They were planning a baby shower. Now they're planning 3 funerals.
- SpaceX's Falcon Heavy set to blast off this week
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.