PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. — Tarpon Springs High School's football team won't be taking the field Friday night because of COVID-19, Pinellas County Schools says.
The district reported one student had tested positive for coronavirus on Sept. 24. This affected seven classrooms and part of the football team.
Because of this, Friday's scheduled game between East Lake High School and Tarpon Springs has been canceled. The district says the game will likely be rescheduled for a later date.
East Lake will instead take on Palatka High School in Gainesville for Palatka's homecoming game. The high school's opponent also had to cancel its game.
Over in Manatee County, Manatee High School's home opener was canceled after school officials were notified its opponent's team at Kathleen High School had been placed under quarantine.
The school says if you purchased tickets online for Friday's game, you'll be refunded automatically in a few days.
What other people are reading right now:
- DeSantis wants to ease restaurant restrictions, may override local rules
- $5K reward offered for information in deadly shooting of Florida 3-year-old
- NCAA recommends waving requirements, making all college football teams eligible for bowls in 2020
- FHP: Man installing I-4 roadway marker killed after being hit by car, thrown from overpass
- Retired circus elephants get new home at northeastern Florida refuge
- Rare, 'patternless' rattlesnake found in Florida
- Results of climate change: Warmer world, stronger storms
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter