DENVER — You thought Tampa Bay sports would take a break following another championship win?
Not so fast — it's now the Rays' turn to represent the bay area on the national stage.
The 2021 All-Star Game takes place Tuesday night in Denver, Colorado. The best players from the American and National League will take the field for a fun game where the winner will have bragging rights.
Tampa Bay has three players and one coach on the American League's All-Star team. Cape Coral native and Rays catcher Mike Zunino will make his first All-Star appearance after being voted in by fellow players and coaches. Second baseman Joey Wendle will also be in the lineup after replacing injured Chicago White Sox shortstop Tim Anderson.
In a last-minute replacement for injured Yankees pitcher Gerrit Cole, Rays pitcher Andrew Kittredge was added to the All-Star bullpen as well.
Rays skipper Kevin Cash will coach the American League team after helping Tampa Bay win the AL crown last season.
First pitch is at 7:30 p.m.
What other people are reading right now:
- Oops: Stanley Cup damaged during Lightning championship celebration
- Looking to buy a home right now? Here are 5 tips from a housing expert.
- New video released as 5 people from the Tampa Bay area are linked to Capitol riot
- Protestors in Tampa march in support of Cuban people
- When will it go away? Answers to FAQs about red tide
- A Frank Conversation: New podcast explores race, religion, politics and more
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter