ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — It's finally Opening Day for the 2020 MLB season, but even before the first pitch is thrown at Tropicana Field, the Tampa Bay Rays are already looking for justice off the field - specifically in the case of Breonna Taylor.
On Friday, the Rays tweeted, "Today is Opening Day, which means it's a great day to arrest the killers of Breonna Taylor."
The team wasn't done; tweeting out "Systemic racism is real. "Let's unite for positive change."
The team says it has committed $100,000 to local groups who are fighting systemic racism. The Rays have launched a resource guide on its website.
What other people are reading right now:
- Body of missing 5-year-old found in Highlands County lake
- Yankees, Nationals players kneel with long, black ribbon before game
- Funeral expenses for 3 friends killed in Frostproof 'massacre' covered by donations
- Tropical Storm Hanna forms in the Gulf of Mexico
- Infectious disease experts believe schools will be the epicenter for the spread of COVID-19 this Fall
- Hillsborough County Schools reopening delayed by 2 weeks to Aug. 24
- Trump cancels Jacksonville segment of Republican National Convention
- Florida adds record 173 new deaths to its coronavirus report in a single day
- Here are the reopening plans for Tampa Bay school districts
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter