TAMPA, Fla. — Beaches and winning -- that's what Tampa Bay does!
(shout out to all my Wedding Crashers fans)
The Rays are a remarkable baseball team to watch right now.
Even though the squad fell one game short of tying a franchise record with 12 straight wins, it is hard to sulk when Kevin Cash's group is a cool 19-6 since May 2.
If we shorten the time to May 14, the Rays are 13-1. During that stretch, Tampa Bay is outscoring opponents 105-48 for a +57 run-differential. The pitching has been phenomenal as well with a 2.86 ERA.
The Rays are 32-20 and have held opponents to three runs or less 30 times.
The crazy thing is the team traded Willy Adames to the Brewers and kept on chugging. Personally, that's a big surprise given how much his teammates loved him. He was the heart and soul of that group, but Taylor Walls got the call-up and is trying to prove he can stick with Wander Franco looming, we think, in a couple of months.
The Rays have a rare Friday off in preparation for the two-game set against the Phillies. Even though the Rays are 12 games over .500, the team is 13-13 at Tropicana Field.
Speaking of the Trop, that leads us to this week's Locked On Rays Podcast episode with 10 Tampa Bay sports director Evan Closky. The trio talk about the Sternberg lawsuit, ideal MLB playoff formats and, of course, the hot streak.
What other people are reading right now:
- Lighting will stop restricting jerseys from opposing teams after viral video with Panthers fan
- Polk Sheriff Grady Judd issues warning to two 'beefing' gangs accused of 16 drive-by shootings
- Man charged with first-degree murder after shooting outside Tampa hotel
- What can I get tax-free during Florida's Disaster Preparedness Sales Tax Holiday?
- 2 arrested in connection to 13-year-old Florida girl's disappearance
- Flying over Memorial Day? Expect long lines at airports
- Tampa Bay will face Carolina in second round of Stanley Cup Playoffs
- Headless alligator found in Manatee County, FWC says
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter