TAMPA, Fla — Nick Bitsko, welcome to the Tampa Bay Rays!
The right-handed pitcher from Central Bucks East (Penn.) High School was selected as the No. 24 pick in the first round of the 2020 Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft.
Bitsko, 17, went a combined 4-2 with a 1.27 ERA and 68 strikeouts during his freshman and sophomore year seasons. This year he was Pennsylvania’s reigning Gatorade Baseball Player of the Year and a Perfect Game preseason All-American.
Ranked in the Top 20 overall players heading into this year's draft by multiple publications, Bitsko announced his early entry into this year's draft. His final high school season was also canceled by the coronavirus.
His final high school season was scheduled to begin in April but was
Bitsko is now the sixth high school pitcher selected by the Rays in the first round since 1997. Previous selections include Jason Standridge in 1997, Taylor Guerrieri and Blake Snell in 2011, Matthew Liberatore in 2018 and JJ Goss in 2019.
Bitsko is currently committed to play college baseball next season at the University of Virginia.
- Fired Minneapolis officer Thomas Lane released on bond
- NASCAR bans Confederate flag at events and tracks
- Amazon pauses police use of its facial recognition for a year
- Campers test positive for COVID-19 at St. Pete summer camp
- City of Weeki Wachee dissolved by Florida governor
- Sheriff: Polk County deputies shoot and killed man who stabbed mother
- Human remains found at Chad Daybell's Idaho home confirmed to be Joshua Vallow, Tylee Ryan
FREE 10 TAMPA BAY APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter