ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Hours before the Tampa Bay Rays are set to take on the Yankees, the third base coach for the New York team has tested positive for COVID-19.
“We have a breakthrough positive involving 3B Coach Phil Nevin, who is fully vaccinated. He is currently under quarantine protocol in Tampa. Under Major League Baseball’s guidance and advice, and with its assistance, additional testing and contact tracing are ongoing," the team wrote in a statement.
MLB Network insider Jon Heyman says other vaccinated coaches are currently being tested and retested for possible exposure. Though, none of them have tested positive.
The Rays are scheduled to take the field against the Yankees at 7:10 p.m. at Tropicana Field. There's been no official word, but Joel Sherman, a baseball columnist for the New York Post, reports Yankees Manager Aaron Boone says the game is still on.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
What other people are reading right now:
- How to bounce back financially after COVID-19 pandemic
- Searching for a job? Local businesses are finding creative incentives to get new hires in the door
- Ex-fashion design teacher who spied on students sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Dunedin couple decorates entire house with mosaic tiles
- Child vaccinations could help chart path to herd immunity as some communities struggle to vaccinate
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter