RALEIGH, N.C. — Martin Necas scored at 1:12 of overtime and Carolina beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 1-0 on Thursday night in the Hurricanes’ return from a pause due to COVID-19 concerns.
Necas scored off a perfect feed from Jordan Staal on the left side, charging in to put the puck past Andrei Vasilevskiy’s attempted save.
The Hurricanes had played just three games before having to shut down workouts and postpone four games due to COVID-19 protocols. The first postponement came nine days earlier.
Six players ended up appearing on the NHL's daily unavailability list, though Staal returned for this one.
- 'Lockdowns do not work:' Gov. DeSantis says state prioritizing jobs following White House shutdown recommendation
- Florida children's book author, husband arrested on aggravated child abuse charges
- Florida bill would let police watch crowds with drones
- Here's how many fans will be allowed to attend Super Bowl LV
- 'Never Miss a Super Bowl Club' continues perfect attendance after nabbing tickets to the big game
- Parking, tickets, map: Everything you need to know about the Super Bowl Experience
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter