The island of Puerto Rico is celebrating a historic milestone.
For the first time, the women's basketball team has qualified for the 2020 Olympic Summer Games.
The Puerto Rican team secured their place for Tokyo 2020 following the Australian national team's 86-72 victory over Brazil, which concluded the qualifying tournament held in France with a 0-3 score. France and Australia also qualified for the Summer Games basketball tournament in Tokyo.
The women's basketball team became the fifth team in Puerto Rico's history to participate in Olympic games following men's basketball, baseball, women's volleyball, and women's softball.
This is a big win for the entire island, which has been devastated by natural disasters over the last few years. The latest being a series of continuing earthquakes.
The 2020 Olympics kick off Friday, July 24 in Tokyo.
What other people are reading right now:
- 'You're not going to get away': Father asks driver of deadly hit-and-run to come forward
- Coronavirus outbreak has Tampa Bay couple stuck on cruise ship
- Here's why Florida Democratic voters might want to wait to mail their primary ballots
- Florida man accused of threatening to 'assassinate' President Trump
- 2-year-old girl channels Elsa after rare Texas snowfall
- 'Parasite' makes history as first foreign-language film to win best picture Oscar
- Oscars 2020: Winner's list and nominees