HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. — A 35-year-old man is facing charges of DUI manslaughter and leaving the scene of a crash involving death after a Monday morning crash on Interstate 75.
The Florida Highway Patrol said Frank Fischer, 35, was driving a Ford F250 southbound on I-75 approaching Gibsonton Drive in the outside lane. A 23-year-old motorcyclist was driving southbound in front of Fisher's truck.
Troopers say Fischer didn't see the motorcyclist and hit the man from behind, ejecting him. The motorcycle burst into flames and the man died at the scene, FHP says.
FHP said Fischer drove from the scene but was found later by Hillsborough County deputies at a Lowe's in Riverview.
Fischer was arrested by FHP troopers.
As of 7:40 a.m., all lanes of southbound I-75 are back open. Some traffic had been detouring to US 301 before the lanes re-opened.
What other people are reading right now:
- Man 'deeply sorry' for raping, killing girl
- He went missing 2 years ago. Then, his body was found. Now, his family is trying to save other kids.
- Cops: 2 daycare employees arrested after video shows little girl dangled upside down, bullied
- 'We really need a lot of prayers': Pasco County firefighter, wife and their infant daughter hurt in crash
- 'I am awesome': How a millennial built a fentanyl empire
FREE 10NEWS APP:
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter