Authorities say a plane bound for Florida was evacuated at a New Jersey airport due to a suspicious item.
NJ.com reports that JetBlue flight 573 was scheduled to depart Newark Liberty International Airport for Tampa when a flight attendant alerted authorities at about 7:45 a.m. Saturday.
NBC 4 in New York reported a photo of a suicide vest or someone wearing a suicide vest was sent to two flight attendants who told the captain.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey said the plane returned to the gate and the 150 passengers were deplaned onto the tarmac via stairways. Passengers and luggage were to be rescreened.
JetBlue said in a statement that the flight was delayed for additional security screenings "out of an abundance of caution."
A checked baggage room at the Philadelphia International Airport was closed briefly Wednesday after a device that resembled a pipe bomb was found.
What other people are reading right now:
- Barry, once a hurricane, makes landfall in Louisiana
- Suspect in deadly apartment shooting kills self at Highlands County mall
- ICE agents arrest, detain Oregon mother who has been in the US since she was an infant
- Florida man gets bitten by venomous snake after stepping out the front door
- Deputies: Florida man stuck cocaine, crack, heroin and pills in his butt
►Make it easy to keep up-to-date with more stories like this. Download the 10News app now.