TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Florida is continuing to lend a hand to those dealing with severe winter weather.
On Friday, Gov. Ron DeSantis activated a 30-person team from the Florida Forest Service to help support Texas' emergency management department.
Teams were deployed to the heaviest impacted areas, according to the governor.
"This team will operate a staging area to help get critical resources like food, water and generators into areas that need it most," DeSantis tweeted.
Florida Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Friend authorized the deployment of the FFS Green Incident Management Team who arrived in Texas this weekend.
The team will support a 24-hour operation at Randolph Air Force Base Auxiliary.
“My heart goes out to the citizens of Texas who are suffering through life-threatening sub-zero temperatures, power outages, severely iced roads, and other emergencies. I am pleased to authorize the deployment of our Green Incident Management Team, composed of our hardworking Florida Forest Service personnel,” Commissioner Fried said.
Millions in Texas are without power as record-cold temperatures sweep the state. The unforgiving weather has impacted drinking water, busted pipes and created a need for relief efforts in the area.
“Whether wildfires, hurricanes, or other severe weather situations, our Florida Forest Service team is experienced in helping communities recover and rebuild following disaster, and they will continue doing so as the State of Texas recovers," Fried later added.
- Research shows vaccinating younger people could slow the spread of COVID-19
- Ivanka Trump tells Rubio she won't run for his Senate seat
- Military dad surprises daughter at Clearwater Marine Aquarium after one year deployment
- 2 women dressed up as 'grannies' to get COVID-19 vaccine, Florida health official says
- 'The decline is real': Here are the 4 reasons COVID-19 cases could be dropping so quickly in Florida
►Breaking news and weather alerts: Get the free 10 Tampa Bay app
►Stay In the Know! Sign up now for the Brightside Blend Newsletter